Monday, December 5, 2011

Cocktails with Mr Berlingo @ Orbit Lounge

Max says the best place to take in 360 degree views of Sydney is the Orbit Lounge, Australia Square.


I take my place at a window seat.  They're usually in high demand, but on this occasion most seats are free and the service quick.  Beer on the way and so began the 47th-floor orbit.

On the harbour many people are enjoying the ultimate Sydney leisure activity - this Friday afternoon it seems is a particularly popular day to sail.

I'm dividing time between sipping pilsner, scribbling some notes and enjoying the view when I notice a guy sitting a couple of seats up, on a solo adventure similar to me. He's well dressed, has dark, greying hair, mid-forty's - fellow beer drinker. I nod and offer a quick "hi."

I get a "hey" in return and detect a North American accent.

"Awesome view."

"Yeah, reminds me what I'm missing when I'm not back home here," he replies.

We introduce ourselves, and our chat continues.  I find out he grew up in the northern suburbs of Sydney, started a finance career where money's made, moved and multiplied, then left Sydney several years ago to be based in the US.


With beers now finished, he says, "you know we shouldn't come to a cocktail bar and not critique their finest, my shout." He orders a Mojito. 'The Burning Monk' with lime leaves, chilli, vodka, ginger liqueur and lychee seemed like the best choice for me.

The discussion gets alot more interesting as the sun sets and cocktails loosen the conversation. He tells me about the mega deals that have grown his company and how the movement of capital is shaping the world we live in every second of the day.  His opinion was that Australia is becoming more and more a financial powerhouse, Sydney is growing it's global identity beyond famous landmarks and there are opportunities here for those willing to live 'close to the edge.'

He pays the bill, and on leaving drops a business card and says, "here, I'm hosting a party next weekend, send me an email, my assistant will leave your name plus a guest with the concierge at my place in Woolloomooloo."

"And... don't forget, if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room."

I look at the card - perhaps I'll see Mr. Berlingo again soon.



Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment