Monday, December 5, 2011

Mr Berlingo @ Aurora Place

Mr Berlingo's party was cancelled last week.   Max followed Berlingo’s instructions to attend and left contact details with the concierge at his Sydney home, the ‘Finger Wharf’ in Woolloomooloo. (previous post)


Berlingo flew ugently to Shanghai.   Turns out a hedge-contract for Zinc with a Chinese resources broker was in a dangerous position.  Dubious contracts with construction companies in the north-east of Japan's main island, Honshu, were spoiling his potential for profit in the millions.  Rebuilding after a tsunami puts a new roof over some heads and a Bentley in the garage of others it seems.


Rumour has it Berlingo profited billions for his company from speculation in what eventually saw winners and mostly losers during the ’97 Asian Financial Crisis. He was obviously a winner and since has been financing and hedging resource projects with intimidating results.


Max's phone rang early this morning: "Max, its Berlingo… come to my office, my PA will give you details, I’ll put you through to Claire now." The call came out of the blue, but via Claire, Max knew exactly where to go – Aurora Place, better known as the “RBS” building.


The lift to the 32nd floor took a few seconds before the door sprung open, no time for slow lifts in this world I suppose. Claire greeted me at the door, “this way Max, Mr Berlingo is expecting you.”


Inside Berlingo’s office a computer screen with flashing numbers on a desk near the window drew my eye towards a view over the Eastern suburbs. 200 years ago the view would have me looking over the high walls that enclosed The Domain as Governor Macquarie’s private gardens - apparently a popular place for thrill seeking lovers to make a hot summer night even steamier by frolicking behind the walls.


Back in the office a large wooden cabinet by the wall attracted my attention - full of coloured rocks at first glance.  Berlingo walked in the door and noticed the interest I took in what I learned to be his collection of minerals and ores.  Striking in the cabinet was the raw gold nugget and sealed clear case with a silver metal inside.   Berlingo said, "if the magnesium inside that case was on the shelf it would react with water vapour in the air and end up as hydrogen gas.”   Good reason to be in an air-tight container I suppose.


Berlingo continued, "my father brought home some iron ore when I was 8 years old.   He was a mining engineer, away a lot when I grew up.   He arrived home and said, son - this ore is creating the tallest buildings, transporting billions of people and penetrating the chests of men in Vietnam as we speak."


Berlingo said he kept that ore on his bedside table for years and it's the same rusted looking stone in his cabinet today. In a roundabout way it lead him from studying finance and economics to focusing on the global commodities trade.


Cutting to the chase, Berlingo pulled an envelope from his pocket and said, “I need your help Max.   I need someone in Sydney I can trust.   Inside this envelope is something very important and, if you’re willing to help me out, potentially lucrative.  I need you to deliver it for me.”

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment